3/11/09

Marriage and Human Sexuality

Marriage and Human Sexuality

by Bernalt Velasquez


In this day and age, the western world is very hedonistic. Marriage is not taken seriously anymore. The gift of sex is being abused and overused. More than two weeks ago, I spoke to a very self-indulgent woman. As I told her that I was going to wait until I get married with my girlfriend to have sex, she looked at me as though I was weird. She began to tell me that marriage (or monogamy) is not the best way to be happy and claims that there are “studies” that confirm this. According to her, making a lifelong commitment to a spouse would be futile because you never know when you might meet someone better than your spouse or if you might stop loving your spouse. So the idea of marriage must be loosened to some kind of contract with a clause of opting out if you meet someone better or stop loving that person. She says that God created sex and because of this, it should be expressed freely without any restriction such as marriage. She sees no harm with people being promiscuous. If sex becomes “tamed” in her view, then people will become unhappy. If you want to have 8 girlfriends at the same time, so be it. She thinks that if it makes you happy, then do it. All in all, she says that society needs to take off the taboo that is attached to sex and let it be “naturally expressed.” If this is done, society will be happier.

As she expressed her beliefs on marriage and human sexuality, I began to think about what she told me. As a young, robust, hormone-raging man, I understand the sin of fornication like Einstein understands physics. There is an immense amount of pleasure that is obtained by indulging in adultery and fornication. For a young man or woman to ponder whether they should save themselves for marriage has become very difficult because free sex and promiscuity is ubiquitous. That’s like putting a bowl of delicious cookies fresh out of the oven on the table and telling a child to wait for 30 minutes until it can be eaten. Do you think the child is going to wait that long if he or she thinks there’s no good reason to wait? As I finished reading a book called “The Science before Science: A Guide to 21st Century Thinking” by Anthony Rizzi, he mentioned that all humans strive for that which is ultimately good. In other words, we all strive to have a life of “Christlikeness” whether we believe in Him or not. He also says this: “If it is real good we’ve chosen, it increases our being; while if it is not, it contracts being (increases disorder).” Could that be possible? Our society seems to believe that promiscuity is the ultimate good and this will increase our being. Do people even acknowledge how to truly increase our being? Do they even know how to obtain that which is truly ultimately good? If we are to pursue ultimate goodness, then sex being done only during marriage, with one single mate, will be a means to this end. Could this really be done? I began to think about why marriage exists to begin with. Why is this institution imposed on sexually active human beings?

In my current understanding, God created us as sexual beings with the intent of pleasure and the purpose of procreation within the confines of marriage between a man and a woman. I’ve also heard that marriage is a sacred institution established by God for the primary purpose of bringing Him glory and raising a family. In this covenantal relationship, the husband faithfully loving his wife is supposed to exemplify Christ faithfully loving the church; it is supposed to show unity and sacrifice. When a married couple has children, they are to raise them up in a godly fashion. This is supposed to create a strong family. I think that Ephesians 5:22-33 describes the nature of marriage. The most interesting verse is v. 25: “Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.”

I’m interested to see what you guys think about my friend’s view of sexuality and marriage, about society’s view of this, and my understanding of marriage and sexuality. Perhaps my understanding could be further supplemented by you guys since you are the ones that are married. I look forward to what you guys have for me. Thanks and God bless you all.

4 comments:

Freddy said...

Bernalt, that is an excellent post and such an important question and topic to raise in our day and age.

Your friend definitely takes the side of a hedonistic worldview without a doubt. Anyone who doesn't know the Lord would agree with her almost 99% of the time. You wrote:

"She says that God created sex and because of this, it should be expressed freely without any restriction such as marriage."

My question to her would be where did she get the idea that God created it? Her answer to that question would probably give an insight of where the core problem really is. You see, the problem isn't sex or marriage, the problem with her is that she doesn't believe the One who created and instituted these things to be the Supreme Authority on the issue.

Furthermore, she doesn't know what true love is and because she doesn't she believes love to simply be nothing more than an emotion. That is why she has to be opposed to marriage because at any moment anyone can stop loving their spouse and want to leave. She doesn't have a point of reference or comparison. One of the big proponents of this type of thinking is Hollywood. Hollywood has defined what love should be and what it should like. Therefore, it is Hollywood's take on love that has become society's point of reference. Fortunately, we have people that have written about this very dilemma. Voddie Baucham in his book Family Driven Faith addresses this problem that is affecting our generation. He wrote,

"I believe one of the main causes of the current epidemic of "falling out love" is ignorance. That's right, people just don't know any better. We think love is a random, overwhelming, uncontrollable, sensual force that comes and goes on a whim. In short, we have fallen for the Greco-Roman myth of romantic love, hook, line, and sinker."

Voddie does an excellent job unmasking that idea of love. I encourage you to read that book or to at least read Ch.3 in that book, which specifically deals with love.

In regards to Anthony Rizzi's quote, I have to concur with you Bernie. I don't think that man has the ability of seeking ultimate good apart from God, much less "Christlikeness". There are people that live good moral lives and don't know Christ, but is that meant to be understood as ultimate good? How many of us would have not made the argument that the young rich ruler made before Jesus? Yet Christ elevates the young rich ruler's definition of good to higher plateau that I don't believe can be reached apart from Him. If it could then why do we need to have a relationship with Christ?

Finally, I believe that marriage was instituted to glorify God. The best quote that comes to mind is that of Sinclair Ferguson. He said something to the effect that marriage is a domestic cameo, in which, the gospel drama is being portrayed. Ferguson's quote has not only helped me better understand my responsibility as a husband, but also remind me who I should be glorifying in my marriage with my actions and decisions. I'm sure Remy, Bill, or Berny can give a better theological answer as to why marriage exists.

I apologize for the long response.

Your brother in Christ,
Freddy

Bill Harvelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Freddy said...

Bill, thank you for your wise words. As always, you shed light on complex issues, such as the one we are dealing with now.

When I wrote:

"Anyone who doesn't know the Lord would agree with her almost 99% of the time.

I do not mean that to be interpreted as someone who simply says "I believe in God," and continues living a life contrary to scripture. Rather, I mean someone who has confessed and put their faith and trust in our Lord Jesus AND is abiding by His word. Someone who is truly a follower of Christ in both word and deed. In other words, bearing the fruit of righteousness, that only a true believer can bear.

Now, I am not promoting "blind faith". I am aware that there is an aspect of reasoning and questioning that takes place. But ultimately my research, reasoning, and questioning can only take me so far. I will have to, at one point, assess all that acquired knowledge and figure out what to do with it. That may lead me to put my faith in Christ or to reject Him. Amazingly enough, scripture tells me that I can't come to Him without Him drawing me first.

I know we differ on matters pertaining to salvation. My intention isn't to continue opening more cans of worms, but to simply answer your question and address any further questions or misunderstandings you may have.

Again Bill, thank you for your kinds words as always! May our Lord Jesus bless you!

Freddy

Remy said...

It seems like these guys got it covered. I think Freddy went ahead and said everything I would say, and I'm definitely going to be checking out those links that Bill posted. But hey, now that I'm here, I'd love to put in my two cents worth on something related if you guys don't mind.

My Philosophy of Sex

I was impressed with the similarity that J.P. Moreland makes between sex and "life-worship." He points out God's use of analogy in reference to the idolators in ancient Israel. God refers to the idolatrous nation as adulterers (harlots). J.P. Moreland infers that worship of these idols is analogous to sexual intimacy with someone other than your partner. Hence, the worship of God can be symbolized by sexual intimacy within a marital covenant.

This may not suprise anyone. Jesus is recorded praying in John 17 that eternal life is to "know" God in an intimate sense. That we may be one with Christ as Christ is one with the Father. This is reminiscent of Christ's Genesis quote, "for this reason man shall leave father and mother," that the two may become one flesh. Furthermore, it sheds light on Romans 12:1 that states that we should present our bodies a "living sacrifice," which is our reasonable act of worship. If worship is symbolized by sex, this makes more sense. During sexual intimacy each partner presents their body to the other person (your body is not yours), a sacrifice or offering perhaps you might say, holy (set apart just for you) and acceptable. This verse has deeper meaning if viewed in the light of the analogy of sexual intimacy and worship. With the analogy established several implications might be inferred.

A. After the Wedding Feast of the Lamb, what will the honeymoon be like? Everyone of us knows what happens during a honeymoon. Sexual intimacy. In this case, worship, intimately connected to Christ in a way we have never experienced. Our first night. The Bible states that we are the bride of Christ, and God enters into us, His temple. Like any act intimacy there is a simultaneous giving and receiving of devotion between the two. Please pardon any seemingly vulgar statements. I'm trying to stay true to the biblical analogies. Ultimately, this is only an analogy that can only point to something greater than we can imagine.

B. Monogamy in the Old Testament (Maybe I'll speak more about this another time.)

C. Sex when one partner is not in the mood. I think I'll also save this talk for when we are in person. I wouldn't want to be misconstrued.

D. Homoseaxuality. Again, I'll save it for another post.

I'm sure you guys can make most of the inferences yourselves.

:-)

Hope this blesses someone.

God bless you guys.