7/23/08

Special Request - The Power of God or the power of something else?

When speaking to a public audience I shy away from making critical comments about particular people or organizations, but I believe that there is reason to consider doing otherwise. Earlier tonight I spoke to Sirac Cardoza. He asked me to post a question that he and his girlfriend would really like discussed on the blog. Before I do so I feel like I have to warn readers because I do not want anyone to stumble. I will be naming specific ministries in the next paragraph in order to phrase Sirac's question. The purpose of the question is not to spitefully criticize these ministries, but rather to find what is of God and what isn't (I John 4:1-3), and to do so in love (I John 4:7-11). I believe that this is a very timely question for the church today, in particular the church in Miami.

Is the message that the modern 'Spiritual Warfare' and 'Word of Faith' movement teaches biblical? If you live in Miami long enough you are bound to meet someone that attends 'El Rey Jesus.' For almost one year I faithfully served at that church. I must say that some of my deepest, treasured, and life changing spiritual moments occurred through the work that I believe God did in me through that church. I learned a lot, and saw a lot of areas of my personal life healed and restored. Yet, these controversial teachings mentioned earlier are often taught at charismatic churches like 'El Rey Jesus.' This was not the only, nor the first charismatic church I've attended. I have spent half of my Christian life in charismatic churches and the other half in 'noncharismatic' churches, if I could label them that way. I have found that there is good and there is bad in both.

Certainly, because we are a part of the church in Miami, this is an important topic to discuss. How should we as Christians react to the teachings at churches like El Rey Jesus and others that are steeped in the 'Word of Faith' and 'Spiritual Warfare' movement? I have met some amazing believers that I admire in these churches, but I can't help but not be able to scripturally agree with all that they teach. In particular, teachers like Ana Mendez and Guillermo Maldonado teach wonderful biblical principles, but also teach some things that are difficult to support scripturally. I have had interesting experiences in the past trying to pin down where some of these doctrines arise and have found that some come from what these teachers consider to be prophetic revelations from God that I can best explain as extra-biblical.

In a spirit of utmost gentleness towards this very real and timely situation that Christians like Sirac encounter, can someone help us how to understand these teachings? Are they biblical? partially biblical? Are these prophets or false prophets? How should we react to these teachings and to its followers? -- Everyone's input is welcome so long as it is done in love. Sirac also mentioned that he would be extremely blessed and grateful if Bill would find the time to put down his thoughts, as well as Berny. Thank you guys.

Gracefully in Christ,

Remy.

I John 4:1, Matthew 7:20-23, I John 4:8

5 comments:

dogfreid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill Harvelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill Harvelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill Harvelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Remy said...

Excellent last comment Bill. Very thorough. I appreciate those teachings.