8/28/08

A log in my eye...

Recently, one of my students came up to me and asked me: 'How do I respond to an unbeliever who is committing sin?' In trying to answer it we were led to various other questions: 'Should I respond to an unbeliever who is sinning?' 'Should I allow sin to occur within my circle of influence?' 'What sins should I help refrain and which ones should I let slide?'

I think we all understand that those that are in Christ view sin differently. I remember the many times that I disobeyed the Word of God before I committed my life to Christ. I felt little guilt (if any), and almost no remorse. The day that I asked Jesus to cleanse me from all sin I experienced the conviction of the Holy Spirit. My friend and I were driving in his car and I used a curse word in our conversation. I had grown up with very few Christian influences. I had only been to church one day of my life (that same day). Yet, I immediately sensed that I should not use that kind of vocabulary. This wasn't a conscious decision. It was an instantaneous reaction. Granted, some things I know are wrong because God's Word makes it clear that they are, rather than because I feel they're wrong.

I try not sin, because my desire is to please God, but who am I to tell someone who doesn't believe in God not to sin? Should I tell an unbeliever not to cheat on his taxes because it displeases God? Should I encourage someone not to use foul language, or take the name of the Lord in vain, or bear false witness? What would that look like in actuality? Should I attempt to conjure images of a just God punishing them for their sin, or should I give them "non-religious" reasons for staying away from sin? Should I only bring it up if it's affecting other people?

What do you guys think?

Remy.

2 comments:

Bill Harvelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill Harvelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.